Sausage rolls are a delicious baked good that makes for a wonderful afternoon tea, perfect picnic addition or festive finger food for the party season.
This recipe combines mince with vegies to make a healthier version of the store-bought variety. They are meaty inside with a crispy outer ready for dipping into your favourite sauce! You can also make these ahead of time and freeze them cooked or uncooked depending how you intend to use them.
A favourite recipe from Keiki Early Learning:
- 450g minced meat (substitute with lentils for a vegetarian option)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1/2 capsicum, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 egg, plus additional egg for the egg wash
- 2x sheets of puff pastry, thawed (dairy free or gluten free if necessary)
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 200C and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- In a food processor, add onion, carrot, zucchini and capsicum and blitz until finely chopped.
- Add mince to the food processor and blitz to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat mixture, tomato paste and eggs. Add salt and pepper or additional herbs such as parsley or thyme as desired.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half lengthwise. You will have a total of four long rectangles.
- Evenly distribute the meat mixture between the rectangles of pastry. Using wet hands, form the meat into long logs down the centre of the pastry.
- Whip the additional egg with a fork to make the egg wash. Brush one long edge of each pastry sheet with egg wash.
- Roll the unwashed side of the pastry over the filling, then roll the egg wash side, pressing down lightly to seal the edge.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each roll into 6x smaller sausage rolls and place onto baking tray with the sealed section of pastry facing down.
- Brush the tops of each sausage roll with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if using.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce and a side of fresh fruit – enjoy!
Keiki Early Learning
At Keiki Early Learning our experienced cooks offer delicious and nutritionally balanced 4-week rotating menus. We cater to all dietary, cultural and medical needs and all of our rooms follow dietary and food allergy requirements, so no child is left unhappy or at risk.
We also provide progressive mealtimes with a relaxed atmosphere where children have the opportunity to choose when they would like to eat their meals. Visit our Food and Nutrition page for more information.