Vibrant and bright, this vegetable dahl dish is packed full of vegetables, lentils and delicate spices, and is a hit amongst our Keiki children!
Make it for dinner, have leftovers for lunch, or freeze a batch for a quick meal later. You could even cook some turmeric rice to accompany it and sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves over the top to take the meal to a whole new level of fancy.
A deliciously spiced recipe from Keiki Early Learning:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon curry power
- ½ teaspoon chilli (optional)
- 1 ¼ litres vegetable stock
- 190g red split lentils, rinsed well and drained
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 500g mixed frozen vegetables
- 500g grated carrots
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 400ml coconut milk
- Prepare your choice of rice following the packet instructions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, ginger and capsicum. Sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir through the spices then pour in the vegetable stock.
- Add in the lentils, tomatoes, mixed vegetables and potatoes. Stir and allow to simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir through the coconut milk, and simmer for a further 15minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Keiki Early Learning
At Keiki Early Learning our experienced cooks offer delicious and nutritionally balanced 4-week rotating menus. We cater to all dietary, cultural and medical needs and all of our rooms follow dietary and food allergy requirements, so no child is left unhappy or at risk.
We also provide progressive mealtimes with a relaxed atmosphere where children have the opportunity to choose when they would like to eat their meals. Visit our Food and Nutrition page for more information.